“Sooo...how did you end up in Slovakia?”


This is the classic question that I get greeted with by nearly every person I meet in Slovakia. For some reason, they can’t fathom why I’d choose to come here from the U.S. “But you’re from New York! You can do anything there!” is a line that I hear a lot. The truth is (besides the fact that I'm from Connecticut, not New York), there’s not one straightforward answer as to how I ended up co-oping here in Slovakia. It’s sort of a combination of factors that ultimately got me here in the land of goat cheese dumplings.

  1. My great-grandparents are from here!

    A big reason why I was drawn to Slovakia is the fact that ¼ of my heritage is from here (well, it was Czechoslovakia back in the day). My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. way back in the 1880s, so I thought it’d be cool to come back here and “get in touch with my roots”. It was a cool feeling the day I arrived knowing that I was the first person to step foot on Slovak ground in my family in generations.

2. I wanted to live somewhere in eastern/central Europe

    Having lived in Spain for 6 months last year, I was all around western Europe--Spain, Portugal, France, England etc. This time around, I wanted to try something new! I had heard such great things about this little corner of the world and knew that I already loved Europe, so it was my goal to get over here and try something new.

3. Bratislava is close to a handful of amazing cities

    Slovakia’s capital city Bratislava (where I’m currently living and working) is nestled between a handful of stunning cities that are only a short bus ride away--this includes Vienna, Budapest, Prague, and Munich. Plus, there are a ton of cheap Ryanair flights at Bratislava’s super-accessible airport, and if you need more options, Vienna’s airport is less than an hour away by car.

4. I wanted to work at a big company this time around

    Having only worked at startups before, I really wanted to get a sense of what it’s like to work for a huge company! Therefore, when this opportunity with IBM in Bratislava opened up, I was eager to jump in and see what the corporate life is all about. So far, I’ve been super happy with my decision and have already learned so much in my first two months of co-op. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Airbnbs I've Ever Stayed in, Ranked

Halle's Visit to Slovakia