5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Moving Abroad

1. ATTAINING A VISA IS QUITE THE PROCESS.

Trying to make sense of what kind of visa to get, what to include in your application, and when you need it is really a headache. Things can get complicated if you are traveling out of the country while applying for your visa, but pro tip-y ou can get a second passport! It'll only last for two years, but it'll save your life in case you're a frequent traveler and need to be in a pinch while applying for a visa. Having lived in Spain for a long time. 

2. FOMO IS A THING, BUT NOT AS BAD AS YOU 'D THINK.

Sure, you'll get a little sad when you see all your friends posting about some super fun-looking event back at school. However, y ou'll be able to get your own wild, amazing, and memorable experiences, so you will not be too bummed when you can not make it to a fun outing back home.


3. YOU'RE GOING TO MISS FOOD FROM HOME  LIKE HELL.

This one's a two-sided sword: during my 6 months in Seville and now here in Bratislava, all I can  think about is a big steamy bowl of mac and cheese.. HOWEVER, now that I'm away from Spain, I'd give you an arm and a leg for my favorite Spanish snack (they're called  pajitas  and they're wonderful!).

Moving abroad = missing mac and cheese.
Precious cargo from my quick weekend trip home.

4.  VACUUM BAGS ARE YOUR FRIEND.

Squeezing 6 months of my life into two suitcases was not an easy feat. I have a chronically overflowing closet, which made it hard for me to narrow down my selection. This  set of vacuum bags saved my life and allowed me to squeeze a lot more into my suitcases' limited real estate. Lesson learned: it's going to be something stressful, difficult, and eye-opening when it comes time to move.

6. LITTLE THINGS ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT WHEN MOVING ABROAD ...

... and it's okay! It may take a while, but you'll get used to all the weird little nuances about living abroad that are at first stressful but in the end just add to the charm. Prepare yourself for a change in your way of life and go in with an open mind, and you'll come out with a completely new perspective of the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Airbnbs I've Ever Stayed in, Ranked

Halle's Visit to Slovakia

“Sooo...how did you end up in Slovakia?”